Friday, March 7, 2008

Oh dreary Day

For my main reader the title is as close as you get for me to do anything poetic on a Friday. For as lousy as it seems outside, I did get a lot accomplished today. I am still trying to find the dual homestudy agency. I may just resign myself to doing one in one state and one in another, and see what happens with the move. We could get everything done by the time we move. I am tired of waiting at this point. For those following the passport saga, I got the documents back that you send with it. they send them back separately, so the passport is officially on its way here. Not that I have anywhere to go right now, but still at least I will have it. I was reading on someone else's blog today about trying to get her kids interested in history. I guess that is something that my whole family picked up naturally. Well maybe not naturally per se. I was thinking about my own interest in history. It is no secret to those that know me that I love history. I may not be able to rattle off a bunch of historical facts but I love going to places that have history to them. I think I got it by spending many summers with my cousins in Philadelphia. We spent a good deal of time going to the historical sites while there. I loved learning about early american history. My Uncle Joe and cousins made it really interesting for us. I think that it was them taking us to all these places and then my father's love of Williamsburg and all the trips that we took there that made me fascinated with history and that has carried over today. Williamsburg has also led to my fascination with ghosts. How can you not read the books about the places that have spirits in them. I also got thinking that sometimes it is the good times that you have that lead you to like a certain thing or things. All these trips were very good. My Philadelphia and Williamsburg trips were some of the best family vacations that I have ever had. I think that the positive experience sometimes leads one to believe that it is all that encompassed the trip, and leads you to like what all was involved. That then got me thinking to my love of sports. That all started game 6 of the 1980 world series. My relatives from Philly were up visiting. They had the game on. I started routing for the Phillies that day and as everyone knows that I still do. I watched that game with my Uncle Joe, and forever became a fan of the game. The first Phillies game that I ever went to I sat with my grandfather. My grandfather may be gone, but I will always have the memory of getting to sit next to him and watching that game. Sometimes I think likes are ways to hold unto the family you hold dear.

3 comments:

Anne K said...

Kristen, I think it's great you're doing a blog and I'm one of those who didn't know you liked history! Blogging is another way to get to know people better. Today's post is deep. I liked it very much. Keep it up. Thanks for your comments on my blog. Also, I want you to know that your adoption process is in our prayers.

kristen said...

Well, for another tidbit for you. I actually was one class away from a history minor in college. They didn't offer the class my senior year due to professor being out sick both semesters.

christine M said...

This was a very interesting post, Kris - you are a natural blogger - and I'll get you into Poetry Friday yet!