Saturday, March 8, 2008

How things become dislikes

To go with yesterdays post, for my two readers, I am following up with dislikes. This will also eventually tie in with a comment on the last post. I tease my husband that he has an insurance policy of a large sum on me. You see, he tends to do things that potentially get me killed. First, he convinces me that these are good ideas. Then, I absolutely hate what we do to the point I never want to do it again. You see I have certain physical limitations to what I can do. I have ruined both knees playing softball. Plus, I have asthma that sometimes gets in the way to what I do. Once, we went to Acadia National Park. Leo thought that it would be a great idea to take rock climbing lessons. I was on board with the whole idea. That was until I actually did it. First off, it is much harder than it looks. You have to give credit to the things that rock climbers do, and the strength they actually have to do it. The first climb wasn't that bad. The second climb was the one that got me. It was probably a little bit more than I could handle. I would like to point out here part of this is my fault as I hate to say in front of people that I can't do something. I have a winning complex. In this case, it led to me to do the climb. Well, I started and somewhere in the beginning, I hit my knee off a rock. Well, it was the worse of the two, and led to quite the swelling half-way up the climb. There was a section that I absolutely couldn't do. I felt sorry for the poor instructor who thought I was yelling at her when I was yelling at Leo. I did manage to get up to the top, but my knee wasn't in good shape when I got there. Leo, said he knew he was in trouble when he saw all the blood. Needless, to say I hate rock climbing and will never do it again. Now, there was also the infamous hike around Mt. Washington where my asthma acted up and I almost didn't make it to the top of the mountain. I think that even worried Leo, but now enough to take off on the trail on the way down. I almost died on the descent when I slipped off a not so nice section and the only thing that saved me was a root I managed to grab onto before I went completely over the edge. Notice, I said completely. Yes, part of me was off the edge. Now, this hasn't stopped my liking of hiking. It does make me question when Leo picks hikes. This led to our snowshoeing adventure last weekend. We went with his cousin and his girlfriend. Leo and Mike mapped the route. I was doing nice until we hit the climb where we were the ones to cut the trail. It ended up being no so pretty. I yelled at Leo more than once. My lungs were on fire and I was really out of breath. Of course, the eight pounds I have put on and lack of exercise since I quit work didn't help. I will give him credit because he did stay with me and made sure I made it back. I didn't think I would and I will say that it will be a long time before I go snowshoeing again. I do feel bad because I didn't think Leo put me into consideration once again while planning this hike. Turns out that Mike wanted to do something even harder and Leo came up with a compromise. Now, for the reason that this leads to the comment in the previous post. Dislikes, also can be in other areas than sports. You see I will never become part of poetry Friday because I hate poetry. I am sure some of you are completely appalled by that. See, I had a teacher that completely made fun of my interpretation of a poem. I tend to over analyze, and made a poem more than it was meant to be. I thought I did a good job with it. Now, since the poet had been dead forever how the hell anyone knows what he meant when he wrote it is beyond me. It isn't like he left a book giving the meanings to all his poems. Well, this particular teacher proceeded to make fun of my interpretation while I was standing in front of the class. I have hated poetry ever since. I really think poets are people who wrote songs that they couldn't sing and gave a cute type name. I will never partake in anything that has to do with poetry. As a side note, I can't even tell you the name of the poem that caused the hatred. That right there should tell people who know me that I can't stand. We all know how my memory is and the fact that I blocked it out. So here's some more insight to my being. Tune in tomorrow for the next edition.

2 comments:

christine M said...

Okay - I'll lay off the poetry Friday thing. But I do want to point out that I think that one of the people who participated yesterday made a point of how they thought they hated poetry because of how it was taught in school - but have since discovered that's not what all poetry is like.

But - that aside - it's fine to dislike poetry.

And you should try to get Leo to stop doing things that might kill you.

Anne K said...

Now I know why you said the best part of snowshoeing was the restaurant!