Monday, March 10, 2008

Common Ground

In any relationship, there needs to be some sort of common ground. Leo and I have some things that we both enjoy to do together. We like to take walks in the park. We occasionally go biking together. Obviously, I don't go on training rides with him. We both love NASCAR. For years though, there was one thing that wasn't a common ground. It was baseball. Leo thought baseball was the most boring sport in the world. I, on the hand, love baseball with a passion. My team doesn't always do well, but the Phillies are definitely on an upswing now. Over the years, I have managed to talk him into going to some games. Every year, the players wives association has different charity events. We attended a game last year the benefited the Breast Cancer Association. The wives were selling autograph baseballs. It was a grab bag type of a thing. They call it mystery ball. Well, I bought two of the baseballs one for each of us. Little did I know where those purchases would lead. I got a Ryan Madson ball. Leo lucked out and got Jimmy Rollins. Well, Leo decided to follow his player. I noticed that he seemed to be more into the game than usual. The Phillies happened to lose a close game. Well, I get home from work one day the following week, and what do I hear on my television.....the Phillies game. Leo was watching them play on his own, and proceeded to give me the play by play. He has become one of their biggest fans. We went to a couple more games last year. He has followed the off season, and has been looking to the start of Spring Training. He also purchased tickets to go some games. We happen to have tickets to three games so far. It has been very nice to be able to actually enjoy my passion with him. If I knew a ball would create it, I would have purchased one a long time ago. I will just take what I got and enjoy this with him now.

2 comments:

christine M said...

Go Phillies! Gotta root for my home town team! - okay town of birth, even if I didn't live there for very long.

Anne K said...

That's Great!!