Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

First off, let me just say I got the certified letter. It was junk mail. Yep, junk mail has sunk to an all time low. Now, let's move to Good Friday. I happened to be born on Good Friday in 1974. That's not what I am going to write about. that was just a sidenote of trivia. Every year, since I can remember we dyed our Easter eggs on Good Friday. My Uncle Ted, my grandmother's brother, would come over and we wold dye eggs. Now, of course, with my family, it turned out to be a big competition. The two biggest competitors were my mother and her uncle. It never felt like East until that Friday with the smell of vinegar and watching those little tablets dissolve to color the eggs. Over the years, the patterns, colors, and dye used might have been different, but we were always together. We did this well into our 20's. The same group of people getting together. as we got older the beverages drank during the affair changed and we always ended playing games which became more complicated. Well, somewhere before I got married, we stopped doing this. No, no one died. It just stopped. Maybe in some way we thought we had gotten to old for this. It isn't like we were going out and hunting the Easter eggs like we did when we were younger. We also now had jobs, and it wasn't like we had Good Friday off to spend the whole day playing games and dyeing eggs. Well, when I was home last week, I found out the tradition is starting up again. Mostly the same players, with the addition of Lexi. I unfortunately did not make the trip. I thought about it, but going up there for basically one day and having to travel back down here on the holiday weekend wasn't going to be offset by the fun I had. The good thing with this is that we keep this going and next year, living closer, it will be an easy drive to get there and back. I don't know who is more excited about this...the kid or the adults. I don't know if Lexi realizes what she is getting involved with. After all, there have been eggs thrown and various other sabotage tries. When our time comes, I hope that it will be memories like those I have have of Good Friday that Lex will have, and I hope that it is still going on when she has kids and they too will remember us dyeing eggs every Good Friday.

No comments: