Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Keeping Up Appearances

I was reminded of the BBC sitcom with the same name this weekend. My brother's fiance and her family aren't really like us. Almost on extreme sides of the spectrum. Now, in saying that, the families do like each other. What I found interesting was watching people I grew up knowing acting completely differently than what they were. Now, it took me a long time to be comfortable with who I am. I would like to think that, for the most part, that I am likable. I also think that the people that I am related to are very entertaining. I don't think that you should offend people, but at the same time extremes should not be gone to so that you look like people you aren't. My future SIL's family are ultra-conservative religious type of a people. Well, originally they were not staying passed the shower. Then, they decided to stay and we were left with what to do with them. This led to hours of watching my family, who at times, could be likened to the Barones from Everybody Loves Raymond try to act like people they weren't. First, we sent them to Kelly's new place. My parents and I took the leftover food back to their place. We also drank while up there due to the fact that it was going to be our only time to do it. Ashlea's family doesn't believe in drinking alcohol. That is okay with me. I don't think everyone has to drink. My own brother doesn't. What I find funny is the idea that just because someone you are with doesn't drink you can't either. Exception to that rule would obviously be if you were out with an alcoholic. I could see under those circumstances that you might want to drink a Coke. The other thing was completely watching what and how you said something. Granted, one should not swear constantly. I can see that, but catching yourself all the time like you are with a bunch of two year olds when that is not who you are is also ridiculous. After Kelly's, we went to dinner and I had about had it with the bad british comedy that was playing out. I really like the original, and we were ruining it. I was sitting across from her parents during dinner, and decided to just be myself. If they didn't like it, it was going to be too bad for them. Well, the icebreaker came when they asked about Mem and Pap. For those readers who don't know, those would be my grandparents. It would take numerous blogs to explain the two of them. The stories actually could be turned into a sitcom. The thing about my grandparents is that, unless you have spent time with them, it is hard to believe that they really exist as presented. I think Ashlea's parents heard Jason stories, but just couldn't truly believe them. Well, when you are with a whole group of people that can not only corroborate the story, but even have some to top the previous it can loosen up a party. Well, I let some words slip out. Next thing I know so is Ashlea's parents. By the end of the night, my family had a completely different view of them. I am not saying that some ideas stayed, but they weren't quite as previously thought. Basically, they were our more kind of normal. Lesson learned is that more of a good time can be had if people just be themselves.

1 comment:

christine M said...

Sounds like you had an interesting weekend. Good lesson - that if people are just themselves people will have more fun. Though if on that BBC sitcom Hyacinth was 'herself' it wouldn't be quite so amusing!