Monday, October 20, 2008

The First Fire.

With the dropping evening temperatures, we decided to utilize our fireplace. It isn't a practice that I know that we can continue to do on a regular basis with my allergies and asthma, but it wasn't too bad last evening. Leo bought a chainsaw and axes. We also had to buy fireplace tools. We also got a holder to stack the wood outside. The wood was still a tad wet, so it didn't burn that great. Today, I went and bought some Duraflame logs to use to give the wood some time to cure. These logs are supposed to burn cleaner than wood and also last four hours. Right now it is working well although I do admit that I miss the woodburning smell that usually comes with fires. Leo got home from work tonight and chopped more wood. The bright spot is that there is plenty of wood down on the property that we can use for a long time. It isn't like we had to go try and find some wood. It was right here all along. Since it is supposed to rain tomorrow and then snow overnight, we wanted to get what he had cut up with the chainsaw chopped and stacked. I did my part in carrying the smaller pieces down to the chopping station. Obviously, Leo was going to have to care of the larger pieces. I also filled the birdfeeders since it is getting colder. Plus, the deer needed more corn put down. Of course, I could let them forage for themselves, but since the ten point is bedding down at night in our backyard, he needed to be fed. Can't let him start wandering unto other properties. The only place that I will allow him to go is mounted on John's wall.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anne K said...

Did you say SNOW??

kristen said...

Yep! It will only be flurries but still snow.

Bill said...

I always like a fire on a cold evening. I know it can cause you problems, but maybe it won't be so bad with the glass doors on the fireplace. Sounds like Leo is turning into a real woodsman - got a chainsaw and all. Pretty soon he'll be getting a hunting license and gutting deer on that rock out there. He'll be just like Natty Bumpo.