Sunday, June 8, 2008

Making New Friends

We all know that my father has had some winning moments in his life. On weekends, he works at Watkins Glen Racetrack. Well, it was a pretty busy weekend, but dad had time to make a new friend. Before the start of the Porsche race, Bob noticed that a driver dropped part of his radio. Well, my dad picked it up and took it to the driver. The driver was very thankful, and even searched out my father after the race. They proceeded to spend most of the afternoon together talking and hanging out. After which, the driver tells my father how refreshing it was to spend time getting to know someone who didn't have another agenda such as asking him for his autograph. My father didn't think he was all that good of a driver, so he couldn't figure out why people would want his autograph, but decides to play the comment off by saying he doesn't like to bother the drivers for things like that. Meanwhile, my father would risk bodily injury to get his favorite driver's autograph. He then starts thinking that this guy must do something else for a living. He calls my sister later in the day to ask her if she knows this Patrick Dempsey guy. She proceeds to tell him that he is one of the hottest actors in Hollywood right now and he is on the top show on TV. She couldn't believe that he had no idea who spent the afternoon and made friends. Of course, my dad probably would have screwed his new friendship up if he knew who it was, but it does go to show how these people are just normal people.